Marten River, Ontario: Canadian History in Vintage Postcards
Highlighting in vintage postcards the history of towns and townships in the greater Lake Nipissing and Lake Temagami areas of Northern Ontario, Canada and including the Nipissing District and portions of the Parry Sound district which are in the “Blue Sky Region.” These Canadian postcards are shown in digital museum format for educational purposes. If you have images or historical information which you’d like to share with our virtual museum, feel free to do so. To navigate these pages, mouse over the top navigation bar. Drop-down menus will appear of the areas of interest. Click on the thumbnails for larger images. Close the larger image before opening another thumbnail. The occasional duplicates for sale can be found using the search box on the main (home) page of VintagePostcards.org. This is an ongoing project; comments and questions to the webmaster at webmaster - at sign - vintagepostcards.org are welcome.
Please note that while you are certainly welcome to visit the virtual museum as often as you’d like (and we encourage you to do so), these scans are owned by VintagePostcards.org and, as such, they are not to be re-used or re-purposed in any way, for any other reason — including use on another website, on social networking websites, in brochures or print-outs, etc. — without our prior express written permission. Under the terms of the DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act), such use without permission constitutes copyright infringement and intellectual property theft. We hate to have to make that so clear, as we want you to enjoy the museum and we put these images up due to our love of Canada, but the actions of a few have prompted this notice. For further information, please see the footer of this page.
Logging of the upland mixed forest began in the Marten River area by noted timber baron J. R. Booth as early as 1905, with logging continuing in some Marten River areas until the 1970s. Beaverland Camp, also built in the early 1900s, became a fishing lodge in 1926; it lies within the Nipissing Crown Game Preserve which was established in 1926. A Crown game preserve is an officially designated area in Ontario, whose purpose is “sustaining populations of game animals.” In effect, a crown preserve is a wildlife refuge. Hunting is prohibited and, subsequently, much wildlife can be seen. Fishing is strictly regulated (The Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources manages Crown game preserves. There are, at present, 15 Crown game preserves in Ontario.). At Beaverland, a chain of lakes can be accessed from the cabins. The lakes wind through miles of unspoiled virgin territory in the Nipissing Game Preserve, and the angler can catch many varieties of fish including Great Northern Pike, Lake Trout, Perch, Smallmouth Bass, Walleye and Whitefish.
Kenny Forest Provincial Park, located within the Nipissing Crown lands, contains unusual features for this area. Yellow birch trees that grow here are just at the northern limits of the area in which this species is ordinarily found. There are also lowland wetlands and coniferous/deciduous swamp forests. Located at 52 Beaverland Road, Marten River, ON P0H 1T0, Beaverland Camp is now owned by Albert and Dorothy Cloet.
Leonard and Kitty Furuya owned Beaverland when noted aerial photographer H. R. Oakman took the above picture shown in Aerial View 2.
Bill Pozniak’s Camp — Mr. Pozniak arrived in Marten Lake in the early 1900s to fish, hunt and trap. Pozniak’s is one of the oldest hunting and fishing resorts in Northern Ontario. Although he was illiterate, Mr. Pozniak had excellent construction skills; his hand-hewn cedar and spruce lodge and cabins still stand. Accommodations were rustic, suiting the original clientele of fishermen and hunters. As men began to bring their wives and families to Pozniak’s, as much of the original atmosphere as possible was retained, while adding modern conveniences such as electricity, running water and inside bathrooms. Located at 74 Pozniak’s Rd., the camp remains in the family, owned by Bob, Cecile and Brent Pozniak.
Ferguson Highway — A series of nicely detailed 1920s postcards of camping along the Ferguson Highway at Marten River is shown below, as is a c. 1940s real-photo postcard of Shea’s White Rose gas station, which also offered Coca-Cola and hot dogs for refreshment.
This scarce 1946 map postcard nicely details the location of the Land O’ Lakes Lodge, which was then owned by P. R. Valencourt. The sender, named only as Sadie, wrote: “We are spending a week here at the Lodge and it is Paradise, no cooking or washing dishes for me…it sure is a nice vacation.” Many Northern Ontario tourists hailed from Michigan and Ohio; this post card was sent to Miss Violet Schubert of Detroit, MI. Currently owned by Bill and Karen Ritzel, Land O’ Lakes offers 10 housekeeping cottages, tent and trailer facilities for camping, a restaurant, general store and laundromat. Organized ecotours, canoeing, bicycling and moose hunting are also available in season. Pickerel, pike bass and lake trout are some of the fishing catches. A portional view of the map postcard is shown at right. Most of the Land O’Lakes postcards seen below are real-photo postcards (RPPC) from the 1940s and 1950s.
Marten River Provincial Park — This 990-acre riverside provincial park (seen below) features a replica of a 19th-century logging camp including logging artifacts, a blacksmith’s shop, bunkhouse, camp office, cookery, hay barn, scaler’s shack and stable. Every year since 1990, the park has celebrated the area’s logging heritage with the annual Lumberjack Days festival. Held in July to help raise the profile of this national historic site, events include demonstrations by blacksmiths and chainsaw carvers, lumberjack contests, horse-dawn carriage rides and a bean lunch. Fiddlers play traditional music and step-dancers perform as well. Along the trails, one can see remnants of massive old-growth pines which were felled, as well as a 300-year-old white pine which was spared for some unknown reason.
The Sportsmen’s Motel and Restaurant, seen in a chrome postcard postmarked in 1974, also had a Sunoco gas station which was open 24 hours a day. The business was owned by Ken and Naydeene Delves.
Built in the early 1960s and located at 2372 Hwy. 11 N, the Rock Pine Motel and Restaurant, which also had a Texaco gas station and offered moose licenses when the c. 1970s to 1980s over-sized chrome postcard to the right was created, is located 30 minutes north of North Bay and 30 minutes south of Temagami. The Rock Pine is on snowmobile trail “A” from North Bay to Temagami and trail “A104D” to West Nipissing. Three groomed Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs (OFSC) trails intersect here. The Rock Pine has snowmobile parking, and also sells sundries.
Todd Siegner runs the Trapper Trading Post / Marten River LCBO, located at 2890 Hwy. 11 North. The convenience store offers what one might expect: gas, groceries, beer and liquor, fishing tackle and bait, souvenirs and other sundries.
For collectors of vintage postcards, old postcards and the antique postcard. Deltiology, the hobby of collecting vintage postcards, is one of the fastest-growing collectibles hobbies. Old postcard collections interest collectors of antiques, memorabilia and ephemera; collectables such as old vintage postcards are used by museums and historians to document what was.